Weighted blankets have been making a name for themselves in the market recently due to their array of benefits, including lowering anxiety, achieving better sleep, and providing more comfort. Part of ensuring you get the most out of your blanket is to keep it clean regularly to preserve its excellent condition for the years to come without worrying how often you use it.
It’s integral to learn how to wash your weighted blanket properly to avoid damaging it and wasting your hard-earned money. It requires a bit more meticulous care than the clothes, beddings, and other household items you tend to throw into the wash. Since a weighted blanket comprises plastic poly pellets or glass beads, you have to be extra careful with how you treat it, or it won’t last as expected.
Keep reading below to find out the process of cleaning and taking care of your unique blanket so that you can look forward to more days filled with high-quality comfort.
The Right Way to Wash a Weighted Blanket
There are two methods to washing a weighted blanket—you do it on your own or send it to the dry cleaners. If you prefer the first option, you have to take a moment to read its tag for its care instructions to help you figure out the proper cleaning procedure. Besides that, you need to focus on its weight, because if it’s 5.5 kg or more, then it’s best to let a professional take over! Other than that, the following steps involve managing your weighted blanket on your own.
For Hand Washing or Machine Washing Your Weighted Blanket
You Will Need
- Mild laundry detergent
- Stain remover solution
- Dish soap – optional
- Bathtub – optional
Preparing Your Weighted Blanket for Laundry
Firstly, if your weighted blanket contains any noticeable stains, you will have to treat it before washing it. You will need to use a stain remover and follow the instructions on the packaging. But if your blanket involves stains from grease or oil, you will have to use dish soap on the wet area and scrub it gently until it starts to come off before anything else.
How to Machine Wash a Weighted Blanket
- Pour enough laundry detergent into your washing machine’s soap compartment.
- Drop your weighted blanket carefully into the machine.
- Based on the care instructions stated on your blanket’s tag, you will need to use cold or warm water. Set the machine to the “gentle” cycle and allow it to wash your weighted blanket.
- After the cycle finishes, take the blanket out of the washing machine and let it air dry or tumble dry, depending on its instructions.
How to Hand Wash a Weighted Blanket
- Using a bathtub, fill it with cold or lukewarm water, depending on the instructions of your weighted blanket.
- Add some laundry detergent into the water, distribute and mix it properly to ensure the whole tub has an adequate amount of soap.
- Place the weighted blanket into the water until it’s completely submerged and knead it using your hands.
- When it’s time, drain the tub’s water and continue to leave your blanket inside. Turn on the faucet and fill the bathtub with water to rinse the blanket.
- This time, take out the blanket from the tub, drain the water, and wring out excess water from your weighted blanket and dry well.
Washing a weighted blanket is easy, so long as you follow its care instructions beforehand, pretreat it accordingly if it contains stains and marks, and wash it correctly. If you don’t have enough time to do the entire process of hand washing or machine washing on your own, you can always send it to the cleaners to ensure you keep them clean and properly cared for.
Are you looking for same-day dry cleaning services in Ottawa for your weighted blanket? Goodfellow Cleaners offers dry cleaning solutions, shoe repairs, and alterations to our clients in need. Get in touch with us today to schedule a service!